Monday, 2 January 2012

Today's meals

Many people wonder what I eat - I'm often asked on a diabetic forum I frequent (I'm a Type II diabetic), so I figured I'd add something here.

Today, for example, I've had:

Breakfast
Three slices nitrate-free bacon
2 Large Eggs (fried in Bacon Grease from above)
1/2 slice sprouted grain bread with 1/2 tbsp natural peanut butter and 1/2tsp no-sugar-added Jam

This works out to 650 calories, 16g carb (~10%), 28g protein (~20%) and 51g fat (~70%).  My 'net carb' (after fiber) is 13g of carbohydrate.

Post-workout smoothie
1 1/2 cups protein powder
4 tbsp heavy cream
1 cup water
1/4c no-sugar-added natural ice cream
1/2c raspberries/blueberries
handful of spinach

This is 475 calories, 25g carbohydrate (~20%), 37g protein (~30%) , 26g fat (~50%).  My 'net carb' (after fiber) is 21g.



Sandwich - Turkey BLT
1 slice sprouted-grain bread (I make 1/2 sandwich, just very full)
Leftover Turkey breast
2 slices nitrate-free bacon
1 Tbsp real Mayo
1 slice swiss cheese (about 1oz)
Spinach leaves, tomato and pepper

This is 662 calories, 21g carbohydrate (~14%), 41g protein (~25%), 43g fat (61%).  My 'net carb' (after fiber) is 17g.

I don't know what supper is yet, or my night-time snack (I eat 5x a day, typically around 3,000 calories a day - I know that sounds like a lot, but I need it at my size and metabolic rate) but I'll post those once I do.


EDIT...  As promised, here's supper and my snack...

Supper - Sloppy Joes (My 15yr old wanted them)
Not as low-carb as I'd like, but I did enough exercise today to burn 'em off.
Lean Ground Beef
Sloppy Joe Seasoning (just a grocery store packet)
Tomato Paste
Cheddar Cheese
1 slice Sprouted Grain Bread (open-faced very sloppy joe for me)

My serving was about 740 calories (wow), 36g carbohydrate (~19%), 59g protein (~32%), 40g fat (~49% fat). 

I think next time the family wants this meal I'll be browning a little extra ground beef to add to mine to increase my fat/protein levels and reduce my carbohydrate amount per serving.  I'd also prefer we use medium ground beef... it tastes better and is cheaper anyway...

Late-night Snack
Almonds (about 30)
Cheese
1/2 a Granny Smith Apple

This snack is 342 calories, 15g carb (~13%), 14g protein (~16%) , 27g fat (~71%) and only 9g net carbohydrate.


The Daily Total...
Daily total today is around 2,869 calories, 92g net (digestible) carbohydrate (~13%), 180g protein (~27%), 187g fat (~60%).  It's a little bit more carbohydrate than I usually eat, but I did spend about an hour doing weight-training and another 1/2 hour doing cardio, so I'm not too concerned.  It's not really enough to drop me out of ketosis.

As always, questions or comments are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment