Thursday, 26 January 2012

LCHF Post-Workout Smoothie


I often supplement my diet with smoothies - I like them post-workout to get easily-digested protein and small amounts of carbohydrate into my system quickly.

Here's what I had today:

1.5 scoops whey concentrate protein powder
3 TBSP Heavy (35%) Cream
1/4C frozen blueberries (you can substitute strawberries, raspberries, etc.)
1 packet Stevia
1 small handful of organic baby spinach leaves

Blueberries (any berries, really) are a true super-food.  They are one of the highest-value anti-oxident fruits available, and also have good amounts of healthy vitamins and minerals.  And most importantly, they taste great!

I add the spinach purely because of nutrients - how else can you get Niacin, Zinc, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese into a smoothie that quickly?


Sure, the spinach makes the colour a little "off" ... but I don't taste it and it makes for a nutrient-rich smoothie.



Here's the macronutrient breakdown:

Calories: About 350
Carbs: 13g, 14% of calories
Protein: 36g, 40% of calories
Fat: 18g, 46% of calories.

You can increase the richness of the smoothie as well as the fat-to-protein ratio by using only one scoop of protein powder, and substituting another tablespoon of heavy cream.  As someone who weight-trains 4 days a week as well as doing lots of other HIIT (High-Intensity-Interval-Training) for exercise, I've found I need a higher protein value in my diet than many people, or I catabolize lean tissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment